OUR HISTORY

The company was founded in 1904 in Birmingham by Edward Thomas Davies, Arthur Reynolds and Francis John Ritchie. All three previously worked for the Tucker Switch company. Originally called Wandsworth Electrical Manufacturing Company (WEMCO) with Wandsworth chosen as the name as a founding member came from the Wandsworth area of London.

OUR BEGINNING

Image

1904

Founded and based at Mary Street, Birmingham.

1908

Relocate to 61-62 Ludgate Hill, Birmingham.

Image

1920

1927

Wandsworth Electrical advertise in the September issue of The Architect & Building News, highlighting the choice of Wandsworth switches for use in America House, Cockspur Street.

Image
Image

1928

Relocate to Kenyon Street, Birmingham.

1935

A new logo is developed

Image

1940

Image

1942

June 30th – Factory hit by Incendiary Bomb during raid on Birmingham and the company is forced to operate out of temporary locations including a car.

Image

1943

Find a new home at Frederick Street, Birmingham.

1950

1950

A new logo to represent our growing business.

Image

1952

The big move – Company relocates to Albert Drive, Sheerwater, Woking as part of the development of Sheerwater Estate which includes homes for 5,000 people and factories for manufacturers.

Image
Image

1955

Wandsworth Electrical supplies premium electrical accessories for the Queens Building (Terminal 2) Heathrow.

Image

1958

The Wandsworth Red Spot Plug is advertised as virtually unbreakable.

1960

1960

An update on the logo.

Image
Image

1961

Wandsworth Electrical supplies plug sockets and light switches for the new Shell Building, London.

Image

1965

Wandsworth Electrical supply one of its largest orders in the company’s history to the Barbican Development, London.

1968

Our latest catalogue with our range of Electrical Accessories.

Image

1980

Image

1980

UK Manufacturing continues to shift overseas but we continue by hand to make and check our products in our UK factory.

1985

Wandsworth Electrical supply premium electrical accessories to the newly built HSBC building in Hong Kong.

Image

1986

Wandsworth Electrical supply designer light switches and plug sockets to Queen Elizabeth conference centre.

Image
Image

1996

A new logo is developed.

Image

1997

An advert in AJ Focus highlighting how Wandsworth Electrical Design for Designers.

1998

Patents granted for our clip-on front plates first seen in our Infinity range.

Image

2000

2001

New Product launch – The Crystal Range of transparent plates are launched.

Image
Image

2013

Relocation to new modern premises in Sheerwater, just half a mile from the site we had occupied for all over 60 years, where we continue the tradition of manufacturing by hand.

Image

2013

Product Launch – The Penthouse Collection, the pinnacle of design artistry and technical skill – home to our finest creations.

2014

Wandsworth Electrical is chosen to supply premium designer light switches and plug sockets to the landmark redevelopment of Battersea Power Station.

Image
Image

2015

Product Launch – With the ever increasing usage of smart phones we evolved our collections to include an integrated USB socket, enabling quicker and easier charging – Beautifully Crafted, Wonderfully Practical

Image

2016

Wandsworth Electrical continued to be specified for iconic projects, bringing peerless quality to interiors in London and around the world. 2016 included the BBC TV centre and Gasholders, Kings Cross

WANDSWORTH TODAY

}